Tuesday, June 08, 2004

Washington Post reporting on torture getting the "OK" by the Justice Dept. concerning al Qaeda terrorists held captive. Although the administration denies any of this was acted upon, it clearly portrays their seeking of advice regarding this matter -- disturbing enough.

I wonder what Dershowitz would say about this matter, given torture became his "thing" last time I heard (whatever happened to that camera-shy (!) fella?). Well, here's some quotes from him in a CNN interview:

My basic point, though, is we should never under any circumstances allow low-level people to administer torture. If torture is going to be administered as a last resort in the ticking-bomb case, to save enormous numbers of lives, it ought to be done openly, with accountability, with approval by the president of the United States or by a Supreme Court justice. I don't think we're in that situation in this case.
<...>
If we ever came close to doing it, and we don't know whether this is such a case, I think we would want to do it with accountability and openly and not adopt the way of the hypocrite.

I believe that Dershowitz would not approve of the Justice Dept. memo because as far as I can tell it does not mention anything about a low-level officer ban, for it to be done openly, & with accountability.

No comments: