Thursday, September 26, 2019

Returning to blogging

It's been more than a year since I last posted anything on this blog. Instead, I decided to give Twitter a try, tweeting any thoughts or comments I had on any given topic. The upside of tweeting is the ease and immediacy: see something interesting and quickly post a few sentences expressing your take. Done. And the limitation on characters/words can also be a plus as it forces you to be concise and impactful.

However, the downside is the ease & immediacy of tweeting allows you to sidestep meaningful time spent reflecting on the topic at hand. Reacting replaces contemplation. A snarky sentence or two does not count as deep, considerate thinking. And for many Twitter users, the goal becomes getting many likes and hopefully -- fingers crossed -- going viral.

I admit, I got sucked into all that, the quick feel-good that comes from posting a tweet, then seeing how widely read it becomes, watching my followers grow in size (to 100, wow!) and wondering why others have so many more than me. Ugh.

So I plan to return to blogging. I will tweet links to all blog posts and I will remain active on Twitter. But I want to get back to writing commentary longer than 280 characters. Incredibly, I blogged all the way through the GW Cheney reign and thought that was bad; never did I believe we'd see worse. But Trump makes GW look like FDR!

Stay tuned....

No comments: