Tuesday, April 10, 2007

With regards to his misspeaks concerning Iraq, McCain stated on 60 Minutes, "I regret that when I divert attention to something I said from my message, but, you know, that’s just life, and I’m happy frankly with the way I operate. Otherwise, it’d be a lot less fun.”

In response, Dick Polman wrote:
That response demonstrates just how far McCain has traveled from the halcyon days of Straight Talk. He is now suggesting that it’s fine to make false assertions in the service of promoting “over and over and over again” the theme of “progress” in Iraq – and that misspeaking in support of Bush’s war policy is “just life.” Even at a time when soldiers are dying every day (actually, at an increased pace since the onset of the Surge), and at a time when most Americans are hungry for honesty on the war, McCain is saying that speaking more carefully, and backing up his assertions with fact, would be “less fun.”
The Straight Talk Express is indeed long gone, a distant memory. McCain has for some time now been spinning and waffling with the best of them.

No comments: