Thursday, April 29, 2004

I am not a conspiracy theorist, but if you throw something in my lap that looks and smells like a conspiracy, I may bite. What else am I to think concerning this electronic voting machine scandal? On the surface, it would appear as if the Republicans are all for these machines since their party controls Congress and we have yet to see anything in the way of a motion or bill to require a paper trail. However, when you think about it, I would argue that senior citizens as a group would tend to be more Republican than Democrat. And I would also argue that these same seniors will have difficulty operating these machines (a guess, but one also based on anecdotal evidence: interviews of people who have observed such trouble at polling booths equipped with these machines). So, you would think that the Republicans would want to insure that their base-supporters would be assured of having a clear-cut way to vote 100% Republican, and yet I have not heard a peep of protest. Hmmm. It’s for this reason that I tend to believe in the conspiracy that the machines can be rigged, i.e. they don’t even need the seniors to vote with intent….

No comments: